From the very beginning, Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń was considering conducting research and teach in the field of economics. Hence, one of the four faculties at the University established at the end of 1945 was called the Faculty of Law and Economics. The Faculty undertook education in science of law, while the idea of education in the field of economic sciences could not be realized due to the lack of specialists. In this situation, starting from the academic year 1948/49, the Faculty of Law and Economics was renamed to the Faculty of Law, maintaining the Department of Political Economy in its structure.
The intention to establish higher economic studies at the Nicolaus Copernicus University was implemented in 1968 when the Minister of Education and Upbringing established the Economic Institute at the University. The Institute was operating on the rights of faculty. The board of the faculty was made by 22 scientific and didactic employees who worked at the Nicolaus Copernicus University Institute of Economics. In the first academic year, the Institute taught 66 students.
In 1976, by the decision of the Minister of Science, Higher Education and Technology the Institute was transformed into the Faculty of Economic Sciences. As part of it, two institutes were created: the General Economic Institute and the Institute of National Economy Management. In January 1993, the Senate of the Nicolaus Copernicus University changed the name of the Faculty to the Faculty of Economic Sciences and Management, adapting it to the changing requirements in the area of scientific research and student education programs.
As a result of the socio-economic changes in Poland, in 1988 there were some significant reforms of economic studies at the Nicolaus Copernicus University. The reforms included introducing management and marketing studies to the education program. Starting from 1994, the Faculty has been providing doctoral studies.
Currently, the Faculty of Economic Sciences and Management of the Nicolaus Copernicus University is at the forefront of Polish universities conducting economic faculties. It provides a high level of student education and scientific research. In March 2004, the Faculty obtained the education quality certificate of the University Accreditation Commission for the fields of Management, Marketing and Economics. In December 2004, the Faculty was awarded the accreditation of the State Accreditation Commission for the field of Management and Marketing (at professional and master’s level), and in January 2006 – for the field of Economics (at master’s level). In the same year, the Faculty was also classified by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education in the group of scientific units in the first (highest) category. The fact that the Faculty received two world accreditations: AACSB and AMBA places the organization in a group of 3% and 2% of the world’s best business schools.
The Faculty has an intensive contact with domestic and foreign colleges and research centers. It cooperates also with many foreign universities, including the University of Angers (France) and the University of Macerata (Italy). The Faculty has signed also many agreements in the frames of the Erasmus+ Program and allows students to choose approximately 70 destinations in the European Union and partner countries. Currently, the Faculty’s authorities have been creating new cooperation with business schools from Asia (Japan, China, Indonesia) and in the United States.